10 Biggest WWE Rematches That Never Happened

8. Shawn Michaels Vs. Randy Savage – April 1992

Why There Was No Rematch: Savage left WWE about a year later and never returned to the company.
Randy Savage and Shawn Michaels had a match on April 19, 1992 during WWE’s Rampage tour of the UK shortly after Savage had regained the WWE Title. Savage won clean with a cross body block after his wife Elizabeth prevent Shawn’s manager Sherri from interfering in the match. Imagine that finish today? It was a different time in 1992.
During the Randy Savage DVD that WWE produced last year, Lanny Poffo (Savage’s brother) told a story about how Savage wanted to do a major program with Michaels before in 1992/1993 when Savage was in his early 40s. Vince McMahon didn’t like the idea, which played a part in Savage leaving WWE in 1993.

Michaels apparently had no idea about it, but did comment about it recently:
“I’ve only just recently from my Twitter feed learned about that. I knew absolutely nothing about that. Obviously, that would have been a blast. Gosh, I think that would have helped me immensely at that time. I think there’s so much I could have learned and would have learned. But I have to say that’s one of those things that’s been news to me. I guess all these years later you think, ‘Oh, that’s nice to know.’ I’m flattered. Randy was a very keep-to-yourself kind of guy. And I guess I’m making assumptions, but for him to think I was even ready to do something like that with him, I think is a wonderful compliment, and I’m thankful to have it. I always tell people how he’d give me these short little pieces of advice every now and again. It’s nice to know that he thought of me in that respect.”


It’s a shame that McMahon wasn’t open to the idea of the feud and that we didn’t get to see more of Savage vs. Michaels.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.